I was having a conversation the other day with a friend, and she said something profound that has stuck with me. We were talking about I don't know what, but the concept of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" was brought up. Which I have always understood as a good rule to live by, even if I don't practice it very well. But SHE said "I don't just want to only SAY nice things to people, I only want to THINK nice things about people." And that's completely different! Which took me aback, because I'd never really thought about it before.
In my head, I seem to have a running commentary about everything. I make judgements about the world, and often see, and internally put on trial, the flaws and annoyances of others. When I choose not to speak on those, I feel like I am being "good" for biting my tongue. Quite honestly, that's hard enough to do sometimes, merely staying silent. But if I am to TRULY be Christ-like, it's not enough to judge internally, and keep silent outwardly. I need to see through God's eyes, and HE sees us through the eyes of LOVE. Even the annoying, selfish, irritating people around us. He sees stark reality, He sees TRUTH, but He also sees through mercy, and grace. I WANT to see the good in those around me. Because maybe if I concentrate on the good instead of the imperfection, maybe then I help to increase the good? Not to deny the frailities, and never to white-wash evil, but to concentrate on what helps others to grow into the person God sees them as, and maybe along the way, help myself to grow into the person God wants ME to be, too.
This is tough stuff. I am not good at it. At all. So today, this is my prayer. Lord, help me to see others as You see them, and to love them, imperfections and all - just as you do.
No comments:
Post a Comment