Saturday, December 30, 2017

2017: A Retrospective

2017.  What to say?  This year has me at a loss for words, and that's not something that I usually struggle with.  This is the first year, in our nearly 20 years of marriage, that I did not put out a Christmas letter.  I just didn't know how to even begin to describe this year, and felt overwhelmed at the thought of trying.  2017 was hard for us, and it was hard for A LOT of people we know and love.   There has been much too much loss in 2017 for far too many people.  It's hit me particularly acutely this year - each unexpected death or tragedy has just cut to the core, because of what our family has gone through.  SO MANY HURTING PEOPLE in 2017!!  Coworkers and friends, and patients and family.  And our nation, the world as a whole.  So yes.  2017 has been hard.  Yet still overwhelmingly good for us Ahos, in that we have each other, we have security, we have our jobs.  The blessings still outweigh the hardships by a million-fold.  For that we are eternally grateful.   I didn't want the "hard" to be any part of our Christmas letter, and so much of our year was shaped by "hard".  We're still here, though.  We're getting back on track as a family, and I have no doubt that 2018 will see life march forward in positive ways.

As much as I feel the relentless roll of time moving forward, and I want to hang on to the precious days of my children's youth... I am not sorry to see 2017 go.  Goodbye 2017.  Welcome, New Year!!

God bless us, everyone!

No comments: