Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pondering this morning

Do you think those early Christians, those fervent martyrs whose blood mixed with Christ's to form the foundation of the Church we know today, do you think they were Christians for the same reasons many profess to be Christian today?  As they were torn apart by lions in the Coliseum, did they profess loudly to the throngs "Those homilies were GREAT!"  As they were being torn limb by  limb, did they say "I really felt welcome there at church."  "It has great kids programs" or "I really liked the music"?  Was it really about doughnuts and community for them?  Really about the "I"?  What "I" get out of being there every Sunday, as if it were some self-help program for a happy life?

To the point of horrific death? 

Inconceivable. 

Those witnesses gave their lives for the only reason TO be a Christian.

Because it's TRUE. 

Nothing less than that is worth dying for.  Then.  Or Now.




No comments: