Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bedtime Theology

I swear, I am sometimes just floored by the questions that come out of my children's mouths. Tonight, after we said our night-time prayers, Quinn asked me the following....
"Mom, if it was God's plan that Jesus was supposed to die for us, why is Pontius Pilate in Hell?"
Okay. Where does this stuff come from? I mean, the kid is SIX YEARS OLD, and spends most of his day talking about farts. I actually DID ask him where that question came from, and he said "I don't know. I was just wondering about it."

Wow. Sheesh.  If he was going to ask such good questions, I was going to have to come up with some pretty good answers.


"Well, first off, no one knows whether or not Pontius Pilate is in Hell. Only God knows that. And second... God doesn't make anyone do anything. But He knows what choices we're going to make before we make them, and sometimes He can take our BAD choices, and turn them into GOOD things, by using them to accomplish the things that He plans to do.  "

It was the best explanation I could come up with, taken aback as I was by the very question.  He seemed to understand the simple answer, and was content with that.

The faith of a child.   There's definitely more there than meets the eye. 

How I pray that my children keep their faith as they grow.

1 comment:

Josh R said...

Yay Quinn!

Judas is even a harder case study.

The bible is a bit more clear what is long term fate was. Although there is still a bit of room for debate.

The odd part is that Jesus didn't try to dissuade him. "What you are going to do, do quickly"