Friday, February 15, 2008

Another Open Door


About a year and a half ago, I came up with an idea. As I work with disabled children, it was an idea to help these children walk better. It was just a thought. Then I mentioned the thought in passing to a parent of a child I work with. "I happen to have my Ph.D. in Materials' Science, and I know that is a patentable idea," he told me. Wow. That got me excited. So I brainstormed some more, drew some things up, got samples, did a little research. A few months later, I spoke with a friend, and asked, again just in passing, what her husband did for a living. "He's the patent lawyer for the university. " Hmmm, I thought. Did he ever offer advice? "Absolutely," she said, "And he loves to do it for free." So we met, and he gave me great advice. Then, a few months after that, I happened to be talking to another friend. "I never did find out what your husband does for a living" I told her, just to make conversation. "He works for an agency that helps small businesses and inventors get started." No. He met with me, again for free, loaned me books, let me attend teleconference educational seminars, and set me up with a patent lawyer for a free consultation. I mentioned my idea to my boss. "I just happen to know the head of the Biomechanical Engineering department. I'll see if he'll work with you." The head of the Biomechanical Engineering department would work with me, and we've discussed a research protocol. My boss said that my next step would be to get permission from the university and hospital to do testing on children. "How do I do that?" I asked. "I am on the committee. Here's what you do."
A few months back, I saw a magazine article in one of our trade journals about two PT's who had an idea, got a patent on it, and it's now in production. I cut it out and filed it with my project stuff. "See... it can be done. Other people do it." I met with another PT a few weeks ago, and showed her the article "Would you partner with me on my idea? See, these other two therapists did it." She said she would.
Between work and raising young children, my project had come to somewhat of a standstill. It was so big, to make this idea come to fruition, and the entire process is so unfamiliar and overwhelming.


Well, tonight... another door opened, encouraging me to step through. We had a training at work on a new piece of equipment, and who should be providing that training but the very therapist whose article I cut out of the trade journal. The one who had an invention of her own and brought it to fruition, who had so inspired me by her story. She told me of her journey through the patent and marketing process, and encouraged me to continue. "It has been so worth it!" And she has offered to give me any advice and help she can about the process. I am being led to do this, and I need to DO it!!! WHY I am being led I don't know, but if I don't walk through the doors that are opening before me, then I am being disobedient. OKAY, God. I am listening! I will follow through, even though I don't know what I'm doing!!!

No comments: